Title: NPWT - Where are we now, what are the controversies?
Chairs: Jan Apelqvist and Christian Willy
This key session will introduce and discuss key elements from the EWMA Guidance Document on Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT) that will be published in 2016. Since EWMA published its first Position Document on “Topical Negative Pressure in Wound Management” in 2007, the treatment has developed considerably. NPWT is increasingly being used in the treatment of wounds of various aetiologies and the introduction of portable devices has opened up for the use of NPWT outside of the hospital, for instance in the home care setting.
The session will introduce participants to key elements of the application of NPWT on open wounds, with instillation and over closed incisions. Further to this, organisational aspects related to the cross sectional use will be discussed. The document authors will present new results and insights from their respective fields of expertise, respectively:
- Therapeutic and prophylactic use of NPWT in complex surgical wounds
- NPWT mechanisms of action and protection of exposed organs
- NPWT - the patient´s perspective
- Legal and organization perspectives in the use of NWPT in home care/primary care
Friday 15 May. 14:15-15:45
- Christian Willy: The therapeutic and prophylactic use of NPWT in complex surgical wounds
- Malin Malmsjö:NPWT mechanisms of action and protection of exposed organs
- Ann-Mari Fagerdahl: NPWT – the patient´s perspective
- Peter Vowden: Legal and organization perspectives in the use of NWPT in home care/primary care